Crews continue shifting travel lanes and setting up concrete barriers to create safe work zones along Interstate 66 for the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Upcoming planned construction activities:
- Lane shifts continue at the Route 29 (Centreville) Interchange, along Route 28, and between Nutley Street and I-495
- Crews continue to remove overhead gantries and signage along I-66 between Route 28 and Route 123, with intermittent late-night traffic stoppages
- Temporary relocation of underground utilities continues along I-66 near Jermantown Road
- Work continues to widen the inside median between Route 123 and Blake Lane to support upcoming traffic shifts
- Clearing of trees and brush in areas where work zones are in place
Temporary ramp closures are scheduled to occur during overnight hours tonight, Friday, August 24, and Thursday, August 30, at the I-66 and Route 123 Interchange. Closures are needed for overhead gantry removal and other construction activities for the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway project.
Ramps from I-66 East to Route 123 South and I-66 West to Route 123 South:
Friday, August 24
- The ramps from I-66 eastbound to southbound Chain Bridge Road (Route 123) and I-66 West to Route 123 South will be narrowed between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. with occasional 15-minute stoppages between midnight and 4 a.m. to implement long-term lane shifts.
Ramp from Chain Bridge Road (Route 123) South to I-66 West:
Thursday, August 30
- The ramp from southbound Chain Bridge Road (Route 123) to I-66 westbound will be closed from midnight to 4 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the I-66 East ramp where drivers will stay to the right for Route 123 North and then follow signs for the ramp to I-66 West.
Ramp from I-66 East to Chain Bridge Road (Route 123) South:
Thursday, August 30
- The ramp from I-66 eastbound to Chain Bridge Road (Route 123) southbound will be closed from midnight to 4 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the Nutley Street Interchange where drivers will exit onto northbound Nutley Street, stay to the right for the ramp to I-66 West, then follow signs for the Route 123 South exit.