FAIRFAX, Va. – Overnight lane closures are scheduled to occur on westbound I-66 between Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) and U.S. Route 50 and on eastbound I-66 at I-495 this coming weekend, April 13-15. Crews will shift travel lanes and set up work zones to allow for construction on the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation.
Additionally, the exit ramps from northbound I-495 regular and express lanes to eastbound I-66 will be narrowed, and drivers should expect periodic slowdowns.
Following this weekend work, all lanes on westbound I-66 between Route 123 and Route 50 will be shifted toward the inside median. On eastbound I-66, inside the I-495 interchange to Virginia Lane, all lanes will be shifted toward the outside shoulder. This lane shift will allow for long-term work zones to be set up, and will remain in place to support upcoming construction activity.
Closures are scheduled to occur from 9 p.m. until 9 a.m. on the nights of Friday, April 13 and Saturday, April 14. Details include:
- Friday, April 13: Westbound on I-66 between Route 123 (Chain Bridge Rd.) and Route 50
- Single lane closure at 9 p.m. on westbound I-66 near Blake Lane
- Double lane closure at 10 p.m. on westbound I-66 near Chain Bridge Road
- Narrowing of the exit ramps at 10 p.m. from northbound and southbound Chain Bridge Road to westbound I-66
- Saturday, April 14: Eastbound on I-66 at I-495
- Single lane closure at 9 p.m. on eastbound I-66 at Cedar Lane
- Double lane closure at 10 p.m. on eastbound I-66 near the I-495 interchange
- Narrowing of exit ramps at 10 p.m. from northbound I-495 regular and express lanes to eastbound I-66. Drivers using this ramp should expect periodic slowdowns.
With construction ramping up on the Transform 66 project, VDOT and its partners are focused on safe work and safe driving in work zones. Drivers are urged to use caution, stay alert and avoid distractions when traveling through work zones.
This construction is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement weather occurs.
The work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes are expected to open in December 2022.