Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
Significant upcoming traffic impacts include:
- I-66 narrowed to one lane in each direction on Saturday, March 21, in western Fairfax County for demolition of the Bull Run Drive bridge over I-66 East. Both directions of traffic will use I-66 West for about one mile.
- Overnight ramp closures at I-66 East to Route 28 North (Sunday, March 22, through Friday, March 27); Nutley Street South to I-66 East (Sunday, March 22, through Thursday, March 26); I-66 East to Nutley Street North (Sunday, March 22, through Thursday, March 26); and I-66 East to I-495 South Express Lanes (Wednesday, March 25, and Thursday, March 26)
- There will be daily extended daytime hours closures of the single left HOV lane on I-66 East and West at Jermantown Road, the single right lane on I-66 East near Route 29 Centreville, and the single right lane on I-66 East and West at Nutley Street starting Monday, March 23, through Sunday, March 29.
Current activities include:
- Bridge demolition at Fairfax County Parkway and Bull Run Drive
- Constructing bridge foundations at Route 29, Route 28, Waples Mill Road, Jermantown Road, Route 123, Vaden Drive, and I-495
- Small charge dynamite operations along Route 28, I-66 East and West near Route 28, and I-66 West near Route 234 Business
- Bridge deck work for new collector-distributor road over Route 234 Business (Sudley Road), expanded bridge over Compton Road and Cub Run, new Route 28 bridges over I-66 and new Poplar Tree Road bridge over Route 28
- Relocating waterlines at Stringfellow Road, Cedar Lane and Gallows Road
- Eelocating underground utilities along I-66 East
- Constructing retaining walls along I-66 and Route 28
- Corridor-wide roadway maintenance as needed