Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
Two-Way Traffic will travel in single lane in each direction on I-66 West at Route 50 during overnight hours March 3-5, for bridge beam installation.
Overnight Full Closures Of I-66 in Centreville for Route 28 Bridge Demolition Planned Next Weekend, March 5-8.
Significant upcoming traffic impacts include:
- During the daytime hours of February 28, the ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West will be closed for paving.
- During overnight hours February 28- March 5, I-66 East and West approaching Waples Mill Road will be reduced to one lane with traffic stoppages for overhead bridge demolition.
- During overnight hours February 28-March 2, Route 50 West approaching I-66 will be reduced to one lane with traffic stoppages for bridge beam installation.
- During overnight hours March 1-2, I-66 East approaching Route 50 will be reduced to one lane with traffic stoppages for bridge beam installation.
- Overnight ramp closures are planned at the following I-66 interchanges: Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road), Route 50, Monument Drive, Route 28, Braddock Road/Walney Road, and Route 29 (Lee Highway) Centreville.
Current activities include:
- Bridge beam installation at the I-66/Route 50 Interchange
- Bridge demolition at Route 28, and Waples Mill Road
- Paving on I-66 East and West in Prince William County, Centreville, and Vienna
- Constructing bridge foundations at Route 28, Stringfellow Road, Route 50, Route 123, and I-495
- Small charge dynamite operations along Braddock Road, and I-66 East and West near Route 28
- Bridge deck work for expanded bridges over Compton Road, Cub Run, and Bull Run
- Bridge deck work for new bridges at Route 50, Jermantown Road, Route 123, Cedar Lane, Gallows Road, and I-495 bridges over I-66
- Relocating underground utilities along I-66 East and West
- Earthwork and drainage along I-66 East and West
- Constructing retaining walls and noise walls along I-66 and Route 28
- Corridor-wide roadway maintenance as needed