Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
Beginning on or about the morning of April 17, drivers on Route 28 South will use a new, temporary ramp to access I-66 East. Drivers will access the new ramp from the left-most lanes of Route 28 South.
During the overnight hours of April 16-17, and April 19-21, Stringfellow Road North and South approaching I-66 will be closed for overhead bridge beam installation.
Significant upcoming traffic impacts include:
- During the overnight hours of April 19-23, I-66 West approaching I-495 will be reduced to one travel lane with with stoppages of up to 20 minutes for overhead bridge work. Two lanes will also be closed on I-495 South approaching I-66.
- Overnight ramp closures are planned at the following I-66 interchanges: I-495, Route 123, Route 50, and Braddock Road at Route 28.
Current activities include:
- Bridge beam installation at I-495 and Stringfellow Road
- Partial bridge demolition at I-495
- Paving on I-66 East and West in Prince William County, Centreville, Oakton, and Vienna
- Constructing bridge foundations at Route 28, Route 286, Route 50, Route 123, and I-495
- Bridge deck work for expanded bridges over University Boulevard, Compton Road, Cub Run, and Bull Run
- Bridge deck work for new bridges at Route 50, Jermantown Road, Gallows Road, and I-495 bridges over I-66
- Relocating underground utilities along I-66 East and West
- Earthwork and drainage along I-66 East and West
- Constructing retaining walls and noise walls along I-66 and Route 28
- Corridor-wide roadway maintenance as needed