Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
During the overnight hours of June 12 and 14-15, Stringfellow Road North and South approaching I-66 will be closed for overhead bridge beam installation. Details
During the overnight hours of June 16-19, I-66 West approaching I-495 will be closed for overhead bridge beam installation. Details
During the overnight hours of June 18, I-66 East will be reduced to one travel lane between Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) and Blake Lane for crews to implement a traffic shift. Following this shift, the three right lanes will be shifted to the outside portion of the roadway. The left (HOV) lane will be separated from the general purpose lanes for about two months while construction continues. There will be no access to the Nutley Street exit from the left (HOV) lane, and no access to the left (HOV) lane from the ramp from Route 123 during this period. Details
During the overnight hours of June 18-19, I-66 West will be closed at Route 50 for implementation of a traffic shift.
Significant upcoming traffic impacts include:
- During the overnight hours of June 12 and 14, I-66 East approaching Vaden Drive will be reduced to one travel lane with stoppages for bridge beam installation. During the overnight hours of June 15-17, I-66 West approaching Vaden Drive will be reduced to one travel lane with stoppages. Details
- During the daytime hours of June 14-15, Gallows Road North and South at I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction for utility work.
- During the overnight hours of June 16-18, Gallows Road over I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction for utility work. Southbound Gallows Road will be closed with two-way traffic running in the northbound lanes.
- Overnight ramp closures are planned at the following I-66 interchanges: I-495, Route 123, Route 50, Route 28, Route 234 Business (Sudley Road), and Route 234 Bypass (Prince William Parkway).
Current activities include:
- Bridge beam installation on I-66 at I-495, Vaden Drive and Stringfellow Road
- Small charge blasting at the Route 28 interchange
- Paving on I-66 East and West in Prince William County, Centreville, Oakton, and Vienna
- Constructing bridge foundations at Route 28, Waples Mill Road, Jermantown Road, and I-495
- Bridge deck work for expanded bridges over University Boulevard, Compton Road, Cub Run, and Bull Run
- Bridge deck work for new bridges at Route 50, Jermantown Road, Gallows Road, and I-66 bridges over I-495
- Relocating underground utilities along I-66 East and West
- Earthwork and drainage along I-66 East and West
- Constructing retaining walls and noise walls along I-66 and Route 28
Corridor-wide roadway maintenance as needed