Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
I-66 East and West will be closed at Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) during overnight hours Friday, January 22, through Sunday, January 24, for overhead bridge demolition.
I-66 West will be closed at Route 50 during overnight hours Sunday, January 24, through Wednesday, January 27 for overhead bridge beam installation.
I-66 East and West will be reduced to one travel lane at Route 50 during overnight hours Thursday, January 28, and Friday, January 29 for overhead bridge beam installation. Two-way traffic will run on the westbound travel lanes during this period.
Recent and upcoming openings:
- Traffic on Route 123 South was shifted to the new bridge span on the afternoon of January 21.
- Starting on or about the afternoon of Sunday, January 30 drivers on I-66 West traveling to Nutley Street North and South will use a new, temporary ramp to reach Nutley Street North and a new, temporary ramp and traffic signal to reach Nutley Street South.
Significant upcoming traffic impacts include:
- During the overnight hours of January 25-29, I-66 East will be reduced to one lane approaching Groveton Road for overhead bridge beam installation.
- During the overnight hours of January 25-29, I-66 East and West will be reduced to one travel lane with stoppages of up to 20 minutes approaching Cedar Lane for overhead bridge work.
- During the daytime hours of January 27-29, two lanes will be closed on I-66 West at Route 234 Business for roadway maintenance.
- During the daytime hours of January 30-31, the ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North will be closed for paving operations.
- There will be overnight closures of the following ramps: I-495 South to I-66 West (January 27), I-495 South Express Lanes to I-66 West (January 28-29), I-66 West to Nutley Street North (January 30-31), I-66 East to Route 123 (January 28), Route 123 to I-66 East (January 29), I-66 West to Route 50 East (January 24-27), Route 50 West to I-66 West (January 24-27), I-66 East to Route 50 West (January 28-29), Monument Drive to I-66 East/from I-66 West (January 28-29), I-66 West to Route 286 South (January 26-27), I-66 West to Route 28 North (January 25-29), I-66 West to Braddock Road/Walney Road (January 25-29), and Route 28 South to I-66 East (January 25-26)
Current activities include:
- Bridge beam installation at the I-66/Route 50 Interchange
- Bridge demolition at Route 123 and Route 29 Centreville
- Bridge beam installation for new express lane access ramps at the future Balls Ford Park and Ride Lot.
- Paving on I-66 East and West in Prince William County, Centreville, and Vienna
- Constructing bridge foundations at Route 28, Stringfellow Road, Route 50, Route 123, and I-495
- Small charge dynamite operations along Braddock Road, and I-66 East and West near Route 28
- Bridge deck work for expanded bridges over Compton Road, Cub Run, and Bull Run
- Bridge deck work for new bridges at Route 50, Jermantown Road, Route 123, Cedar Lane, Gallows Road, and I-495 bridges over I-66
- Relocating underground utilities along I-66 East and West
- Earthwork and drainage along I-66 East and West
- Constructing retaining walls and noise walls along I-66 and Route 28
- Corridor-wide roadway maintenance as needed