Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
Significant upcoming traffic impacts include:
- Overnight full closure of I-66 East and West at Route 123 (June 1 – June 2; 9:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. nightly) for overhead bridge beam installation
- Overnight closure of the ramps from I-66 East to Route 28 North (May 10 – June 14), and Route 234 Business to I-66 East (June 1 – June 4)
- The right lane on the ramp from I-66 East to I-495 North remains closed for bridge pier construction
- The left lane on I-66 West remains closed from Route 234 Business to Route 29 Gainesville for an extended paving operation
- Detours remain in place following the permanent closure of the two left-turn lanes from Route 28 North to Braddock Road, and the spur ramp from I-66 West to Braddock Road. Traffic on Route 28 North will be temporarily directed farther north to Westfields Boulevard to access Braddock Road
Current activities include:
- Bridge demolition at Cedar Lane.
- Bridge beam installation at Route 123
- Paving on I-66 West in Prince William County, and on Route 28 North and South in Centreville
- Constructing bridge foundations at Route 29, Route 28, Route 50, Waples Mill Road, Jermantown Road, Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road), Vaden Drive, and I-495
- Small charge dynamite operations along Route 28, I-66 East and West near Route 28, and I-66 West near Route 234 Business
- Bridge deck work for expanded bridge over Compton Road, Cub Run, new Route 28 bridges over I-66, and new Poplar Tree Road bridge over Route 28
- Relocating water lines at Cedar Lane and Gallows Road
- Relocating underground utilities along I-66 East and West
- Constructing retaining walls along I-66 and Route 28
Corridor-wide roadway maintenance as needed