Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
- Bridge demolition at Route 123 and Fairfax County Parkway
- Constructing bridge foundations at Route 29, Route 28, Waples Mill Road, Jermantown Road, Route 123, Vaden Drive, and I-495
- Small charge dynamite operations along I-66 East and West near Route 28
- Bridge deck work for new collector-distributor road over Route 234 Business (Sudley Road), new Route 28 bridges over I-66 and new Poplar Tree Road bridge over Route 28
- Relocating waterlines at Jermantown Road, Stringfellow Road and Gallows Road
- Constructing new utility duct bank and relocating underground utilities along I-66 East
- Constructing retaining walls along I-66 and Route 28
- Corridor-wide roadway maintenance as needed