Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
There will be no lane closures from 12 noon on Friday, May 24 to 12 noon on Tuesday, May 28 for the Memorial Day holiday.
Upcoming construction activities include:
- Constructing bridge foundations at I-495, Route 28, Bull Run Drive, and Sudley Road
- Constructing retaining walls along I-66 and Route 28
- Clearing trees and brush, grading, and drainage installation throughout the corridor
- Demolition of closed ramps at Route 123 interchange
- Grading, drainage installation at the future Gainesville/University Boulevard Park and Ride Lot
- Grading, drainage installation at the future Manassas/Balls Ford Road Park and Ride Lot
- Grading and excavating for the new E.C. Lawrence Park Access Road and temporary realignment of Braddock Road
- Relocating underground and overhead utilities along I-66 and Route 28