Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
Crews will continue shifting travel lanes and setting up concrete barriers to create safe work zones along Interstate 66. All scheduled work is weather dependent. Other planned construction activities include:
- Setting up long-term lane shifts along I-66 between Stringfellow Road and Bull Run Drive, and between Nutley Street and Gallows Road
- Grading, excavating, and clearing trees and brush at the Route 28 interchange and other places where work zones are set up
- Temporarily relocating underground utilities continues
- Continuing work to widen the median between Route 123 and Blake Lane to support upcoming traffic shifts
- Grading and drainage work at the future University Boulevard Park and Ride Lot