Construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project began in April 2018. Our goal is to minimize disruption to commuters as four lanes of traffic will be open during peak periods, with the exception of a portion of I-66 near Gainesville which will have three lanes during peak periods. Lane closures will take place in off-peak daytime and overnight hours. With day and night activity in the work zone, motorists should drive safely and stay alert at all times.
Throughout the project, you can find updated traffic information on Transform66.org and through our social media outlets.
To receive regular updates on construction news, please sign up for Transform 66 Project Updates
corridor during daytime and overnight hours as weather conditions allow.
Significant upcoming traffic impacts include:
- During overnight hours August 3-7, I-66 East will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Waples Mill Road for overhead bridge work. On the night of August 3, I-66 West will also be reduced to one travel lane for overhead bridge work. Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 30-minutes.
- During overnight hours the nights of August 3-7, I-66 West will be reduced to one travel lane between I-495 and Cedar Lane for bridge pier construction at Cedar Lane.
- During overnight hours of August 3-6, Route 28 North and South will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction. All traffic will be shifted to the northbound lanes. The ramps from I-66 East to Route 28 North, Route 28 South to I-66 West, Route 28 South to I-66 East , as well as Braddock Road between Newton Patent Drive and Route 28 will be closed during this time period.
- Overnight closure of multiple ramps at 29 Centreville. Traffic will be detoured to Fairfax County Parkway.
Current activities include:
- Paving on I-66 West in Prince William County, on Route 28 North in Centreville, and on I-66 East and West in Vienna
- Constructing bridge foundations at Route 29 (Lee Highway), Route 28, Route 50, Jermantown Road, Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road), Cedar Lane, Gallows Road, and I-495
- Small charge dynamite operations along Route 28, and I-66 East and West near Route 28
- Installing bridge beams at Waples Mill Road
- Bridge deck work for expanded bridge over Compton Road, Cub Run, new Route 28 bridges over I-66, new Route 123 bridge over I-66 and new Vaden Drive bridge over I-66
- Relocating utility duct bank and water lines at Stringfellow Road, Cedar Lane, and Gallows Road
- Relocating underground utilities along I-66 East and West
- Constructing retaining walls along I-66 and Route 28
- Corridor-wide roadway maintenance as needed